What Mistakes you Must Avoid while Hiring a Digital Marketing Expert
Hiring a digital marketing expert is serious business. That is why it is such a shame when companies make avoidable mistakes during the hiring process. It is important to ensure that you pick the right person for the job. Here are common mistakes that you should avoid:
- Not seeing beyond the marketing presentation. All that glitters is not gold, and even though the presentation looks amazing, it is not a confirmation that the work that follows be just as good. It’s good that they have a great pitch but what you really want to know is if they can deliver. It is time to ask the some hard questions. One of the most important ones is to find out how many people are assigned to client services. You want to find out if you will be working with a certified digital marketing expert and to see the kind of work they have done for others in the past. In addition to this, look at the presentation critically and ensure that you understand what they are saying. If it is full of jargon they could be hiding behind that to pull the wool over your eyes. Ensure that they explain themselves in a clear way, and in a language that you can understand.
- The company talks of secret strategies. The honest truth is that SEO is very straightforward. There is no secret success formula that can be used to catapult your business to the next level. They will need to understand your business, create a good digital marketing strategy, and then execute it to the hilt! Without that the marketing strategy will just be a flop. It goes without saying that anyone who offers you something that sounds too good to be true probably is. Buying into endless empty promises without proper strategy will lead to failure. Instead, look for their track record and demand to see past results.
- Opting for the cheapest deal you can find. Life is hard for everyone, and everybody is looking to get the best deal out there, but you can’t expect to engage the best digital marketing expert in India for a pittance. The truth of the matter is that you will get the level of expertise that you are willing to pay for. The cheap options out there are mainly people who use underhanded SEO techniques such as paid links, keyword stuffing, and cheap content, which only ends up getting you in trouble with search engines. These techniques do not lead to success but penalization. If your budget is tight and you cannot secure the services of the digital marketing experts you would like to work with, enquire about whether they would be willing to offer consultative services. This way you can get expert advice and have someone else implement the advice for you.
- Opting for a local firm because you want to buy local. It would be great to hire digital marketing expert who is local, but he or she would need to really know their stuff and not be an “expert” by name only. With current technology you can actually hire one remotely and still get excellent services. Even though it would be wonderful to have a face to face conversation, you are still able to video call the expert, have a fruitful discussion and then take it from there. The bottom line is that you don’t need to feel obligated to hire locally if you can’t find the caliber of people you are looking for.
- Not carrying out your own research. It is important for you to research the digital marketing experts in the area you want to recruit from. Find out who is the best, make sure you read any reviews available about them, check out their blog if they have one, and where possible contact their clients and speak to them. It is important to look for similarities between the companies they work for and yours in terms of vibe and corporate culture. It is also important to find out if they can show documented results of success.
- Not asking about a project framework. A good digital marketing expert in India will be happy to show you the project framework used to execute their charge. If they cannot walk you through how they will execute their duties then you ought to think twice. The best way to get things moving forward is for you to let them know exactly what you want done, and then they can show you how they will do just that.
- Lack of proper communication. Whether you will be using a local company or not, it is important to ensure that communication is on point from the very beginning. Usually there are tell-tale signs of poor communicators along the way. Take note of how they respond to emails and how soon they do so, also how quickly they respond to phone messages. Even though you understand that they may be busy, they should be able to respond within a reasonable time frame. Also check to see that they answer your questions satisfactorily without beating about the bush, or covering up with jargon. Every question should be answered clearly in a language that a layman can understand.
If this is the first time you are hiring an expert in digital marketing, it behooves you to be more cautious and carry out your due diligence before signing any agreement. One thing remains true though, that if you hire the right person you will enjoy many benefits including fast outcomes, professional exposure and expertise, save both money and time because you won’t have to get the job redone or get penalized by search engines which calls for more work and more money spent. By knowing what to look for, and the mistakes to avoid, you will be able to make a better choice and can take advantage of their services to catapult your business into the next level as you build your brand.